POLICY FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF THE TOURISM IN HOTEL “MARINA GRAND BEACH”, GOLDEN SANDS
The world is changing and we have to do our best to protect the future of our travels. In the processes of planning, working out and marketing the tourist product of hotel “Marina Grand Beach” leading is the statement of the German writer Herrmann Lyons /1908/: “Our main interest in the future will no longer be, whether we could travel anywhere on this earth, but if it is at all worth to get there”. The motto of hotel "Marina Grand Beach" is one of the most popular definitions of sustainable development - "to meet the needs of the present generation without taking away opportunities and prerequisites of future generations to meet their own needs."
The vision of Hotel "Marina Grand Beach" is to make the holidays of our guests special and unforgettable whilst minimizing environmental impacts, respecting our employees, preserving and advertising local culture and contributing to the economic development of our community. To achieve its goals, the company has realized the following measures for sustainable development:
1. Energy certification of the building
In 2006 the building was certified and obtained the highest energy performance certificate - Class "A".
2. Measures to optimize the consumption of electricity and water
- Investments included in the funding European program" Energy Efficiency"
- Replacement of the existing thermocold pumps with new energy efficient chillers. After implementation of this measure, the audit results show 20% reduction in consumption and cost of electricity and 20% reduction in emissions of CO2.
- Replacement of technological equipment in the laundry. After the implementation of the measure the audit results show 34.7 % reduction in the consumption of electricity and 31.2% of the emissions of CO2.
- Installation of solar system for heating the water in the kitchen - using renewable energy - the energy of the sun. Тhe audit results show a 14 % reduction in electricity consumption and emissions of CO2.
- installation of water-saving aerators on taps and dual flush toilets;
- Sensors on the doors of the balconies and rooms for automatically switching off the air-conditioning;
- Energy and safe control system for the access in the rooms
- Energy saving lighting - LED strips in all corridors.
3. Use of e-mails as a mean of communication between employees in order to minimize the printing of official correspondence
- Reduced harmful air emissions by providing transport service from Varna and Dobrich to the hotel for all workers;
- Providing the guests information on the schedule of the buses from the hotel to the neighboring towns and resorts.
5. Use of seasonal, local and organic food and beverage products
Thus eliminates not only the long transport and related with it energy costs and harmful emissions, but also stimulates the local production. Offering of seasonal local fruits and vegetables also reduces the expenses for import of such products and stimulates the local market and community.
6. Use of cleaning materials with low environmental impact - quickly and completely degradable products
7. Landscaping and entering the hotel with the surrounding landscape - planting and growing native plants to preserve nature and biodiversity
8. Social policy of the company to the employees /European funding program “On road”/and providing additional benefits to employees as food vouchers
9. Training and information for staff on hotel policy to protect the environment and reduce the harmful effects of tourism development
10. Communication with guests and their active participation in the sustainable development policy through
- placing cards in the bathrooms which explain to guests how to reuse towels in order to reduce the laundry. This program reduces not only water and energy consumption, but detergents too.
- refillable dispensers for shampoo and soap in the guest’s bathrooms. The customized label on it indicates the green idea of the dispenser and the ecologically content of the product.
11. Use of dispensers for liquid soap and shampoo instead of separately packaged in small vials hotel amenities
This eco-friendly measure allows our guests to use as liquid supplies as they need, thus reducing the amount of waste generated.
12. Waste Management
The hotel separately collects and sends for recycling these types of waste - paper and paper packaging, plastic, plastic container, metal and cans, glass, glass packaging, biodegradable waste from kitchens and gardens. To reduce the quantity of generated waste most of the deliveries to the hotel are made in bulks. Wherever it is impossible the generation of waste, we prefer products in recyclable packaging.
13. Use of all-inclusive bracelets from "Tyvek" material instead of standard PVC- bracelets
This kind of bracelets are both- extremely convenient for tourists because they are as thin as paper and do not cause sweating and allergies and on the other hand they are plastic, which explains their resilience and ability to be recycled.
14. Active communication and participation in local tourism organizations
/ The Union of Owners of Hotels in Golden Sands, The Union of Hoteliers in Golden Sands /, national professional organizations /BHRA / and other associations and organizations for environmental and social development of tourism in the community.
- Involvement in the project "RELACS"/ Renewable Energy For Tourist Accommodation Buildings for the use of alternative energy in tourism/
15. Preparation of documentation for the sustainable development policy of hotel "Marina Grand Beach", which includes a vision and plan for its implementation, annual reports on the progress of the company in the sustainable tourism policy.
16. Participation in programs and projects aimed at the sustainable development of tourism, preparing for the membership in various global organizations for environmental certification and recognized international standards.